Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Little About Me

It's been almost a month of posting on this blog and it's been quite enjoyable and fun.  Thank you to those have visited and especially those who have left comments and well wishes.  I really enjoy the crafting community and finding such wonderful inspiration from you fellow crafters.  You all inspire me not only with new ideas, but to keep crafting on a regular basis.

Just a little bit about me and crafts:
I was blessed with crafting grandmothers and aunts and an inventive mother.  For almost as far back as I can remember, probably when I was about 5 years old, my mom and I would make holiday themed gifts - valentine cards/gift baskets, Easter baskets, Thanksgiving place cards, etc.  These would usually include stickers, glue, pipercleaners and other "easy" crafts as my mom would say. While my mom denies being crafty, she underestimates her creativity to keep kids busy.  She was a preschool teacher so I think that really helped. 

When I was a little older my grandmothers taught me how to crochet, bake, quilt, and various other crafts, and my mom and I did some basic sewing together.  I have to say that I am quite an uncoordinated person and not very precise so most of my projects didn't turn out quite they way I had envisioned them.  Quilts rows/columns didn't quite match up and my dresses and skirts just didn't look great.  I was more successful with baking and it is one of the things I love to do with Nana Bear. 

After the carefree days of college (read: when I had time during the day to goof off), I only crafted when necessary, ie Christmas time and for my wedding.  I'd say for the past 10 years I would start thinking about Christmas gifts that I could make in September and October.  Then I would have a rush of crafting adrenaline in November and December as I rushed to finish my projects.  Each year the projects have become more and more elaborate and more and more projects go unfinished.  But, those that get done have been quite rewarding.  Finally, last year I decided that my crafting skills are much improved since my childhood and my crafting imagination has begun to blossom as well and here I am, blogging about crafts. 

The Players:
Tiger Daddy - my wonderful, extraordinarily-good-to-me husband.  The man is like MacGuyver, so he can pretty much think me out most jams.  And he has be super supportive as I embark on this journey to open an Etsy shop or some similar thing. 

Nana Bear - my precocious, exuberant 5.y.o daughter.  We fight like cats and dogs at times.  She is wise beyond her years and people say she is a carbon copy of me, which scares the dickens out of me.  She loves arts and crafts and yearns for the day I will teach to crochet. 

Dare Bear - my little 2 y.o. daredevil son.  He loves trains, planes, and automobiles and basketball.  He speaks his own little Darelish language, which we have only partially figured out, much to everyone's frustration. 

We are happy, tired little family creating wonderful memories together.

2 comments:

  1. HI there!

    Just popped over to thank you for leaving a comment on my blog yesterday - Creating my Way to Success - on the post about teaching my girls to sew. My girls are 5 and 7, and have really taken to it! I'd say go for it with your daughter - if she's keen definitely! You'll just have to learn and judge how much you need to help her!

    Also - I tried to reply to your comment, but your settings are such that I couldn't. (If you go into settings on your blog and check the box that says show email, then when you leave a comment on someone's blog - it means they can reply direct to you!).

    Oh and I'm following you now! You have some lovely ideas here, - and we all love new followers!!

    Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post! I so wish I had of had someone to teach me to crochet etc. I am finding it all out myself which is okay but very frustrating. Blogging helps and tutorials are great! You family sound wonderful. Love you kids "blog" names :-)

    ReplyDelete