Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today's Inspiration: Random Acts of Kindness

Today's inspriation is not craft related and is from a friend, an old friend, who now lives in Texas.  I have redacted his name to protect his privacy, but his Random Act of Kindness is both inspiring and humbling.  This friend and his wife worked with Tiger Daddy and I almost ten years ago.  We lost touch with them and I recently found this friend, who I will call Outdoors Dad, via Facebook.  The weather in their area is below freezing temps.  This morning he posted this:

Random Acts of Kindness

by an old friend on Thursday, February 10, 2011 at 8:44am
 
Last night Aubrey, Owen and I made breakfast tacos and drove out to down town Austin to give them to the homeless who were unable to get indoors. I can not tell you how humbling it is to see the fear and despair in the face of a fellow American who is hungry and freezing. Randy slept under the bridge at I-35 and Elmhurst last night as temps. dropped to 20 degrees. I had to unwrap the taco and feed it too him as his hands were already too cold to use at 7:30pm. Tonights low will be 17 degrees or less. I spent $9.49 on 2 dozen eggs, 40 tortillas, 1 pound of bacon, and a bag or hash browns. The kids helped me cook and wrap the tacos and hand them out. We were home and in bed by 8:15pm. The pride in the face of my children will warm my soul for years. It's more than just a bumper sticker my friends, so tonight please consider to "practice random acts of kindness."

Again, I was humbled and inspired by this post.  Humbled because I reminded how much more my family can do for others and inspired to do more.  I was also proud that we were allowed to be apart of such good people's lives, however briefly, in the past.  They are truly, truly good, giving people.  It doesn't take a lot of money or time to do good things for other people.  Be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment